Last week the phone rang… It was my brother panicking, telling me that his laptop had died on him.
Since I’m the family’s IT expert, I went over and had a peek at his laptop.
It was already 4 years old and I had fixed it several times in that period. It had overheated
because of all the dust it had collected inside.
My conclusion was to remove the hard-disk and save his important data on an external drive and look for a new computer.
First I asked him what he used his laptop for, just to get a good idea of what to buy next.
His answer was:
- Online banking
- Reading the news
- Watching YouTube
- His kids and wife playing games
- Updating his website
While going through this list I told him “You don’t need a laptop for this, you can use an iPad.”
At first he didn’t like the idea, because people generally don’t like change. And he was accustomed to
sitting at his desk doing his “thing”.
But when I told him the benefits:
- It can work for 10 hours on one battery charge
- You can comfortably take it on your lap, without the heat of a laptop
- You don’t need a keyboard or mouse
- You can sit in the couch and do some browsing on the net instead of being alone in the study
- Or you can sit in the study instead of the crowded living-room, without dragging an adapter, mouse or other cables around.
- Save a lot of space on your desk
Well he got the point and decided to follow my advice and get an iPad, since it was still cheaper than a new laptop too.
So do you still need a computer or a laptop considering the above?
Tell me your answer in the comments below